Intro & paint recommendations needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Intro & paint recommendations needed
From: "Eric Olson" <ERIC@chip.cba.ufl.edu>
Date: 8 Aug 92 12:16:27 EST
Hi,  I've been reading this list for a couple months, and thought I'd
introduce myself.  My name is Eric Olson.  I do network design,
implementation, support at the University of Florida.  More
importantly, I have a 1980 Triumph Spitfire that I love to play with!

I got the Spitfire from my father-in-law for exactly $1 US currency!
I'd have preferred a TR-6, or older Triumph, but who could argue with
the price :-)   The only downside is that I can't really be too
negative in my complaints about the PO... when my wife's around.

Anyway, I've been undoing the evil worked by PO's local gas station
mechanics... yuck!  It almost runs well now... just gotta rebuild the
ZS carb (I hope), and all should be well with the engine.

I bought a reupholstery kit from TRF.  It was well-made, good
instructions, and I had that on in a couple weekends of careful work.
I stripped the rusty seat frames to bare metal, primed and painted
them before reassembling the seats.  Can't get a shop to do that kind
of work.

PAINT:
Like all 12-year-olds, the Spitfire's a wee bit rusty here and there,
and the orange paint's a little faded.  I'd like to do at least some
of the work myself, and thought I'd start under the bonnet where it
won't be quite so noticeable.  (That's also where the worst rust is).

I've got an air compressor & painting equipment (courtesy of
grandfather), and have borrowed a sandblaster from a friend.  But I
don't want to start blasting until I have primer in hand to cover
that nice clean metal.

And herein lies the plea for help:  Can the net offer advice on a
brand I can use that is 1) relatively safe to use, 2) relatively easy
to apply, and 3) looks good.  Also, any good books I should be
reading?

Thanks to everyone on the list for all the great messages I've been
reading these months, and especially to those who'll have the right
answers to my painting questions!

Eric

Eric Olson
University of Florida College of Business
eric@chip.cba.ufl.edu