Re: TVR 280i

To: bownes@pluto.crd.ge.com (Robert M. Bownes), hoosier!british-cars@cs
Subject: Re: TVR 280i
From: steve@europa.esd.sgi.com (Motorin' Flarey Henderson)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 92 09:58:03 -0700
The engine is a German Ford V-6, known as the "Cologne" engine.  I'm not
familiar with all the varieties of Ford cars, so I'm not sure which US car
has the engine in it.  It might be the Capri.

In the late 70's, TVR used the English Ford "Essex" V6.  Since Ford had no
plans to federalize this engine for the US,  TVR commissioned Olson Labs
to smog it up.  The Essex engine's life ended around 1980, and TVR switched
to the German unit.  I seem to remember that they had Olson Labs federalize
this one, too.  If this is the case, then the real engine comes from a car
that isn't sold in the US!  I'll check my TVR books...

steve valin             steve@sgi.com
                   "SHUT UP, LITTLE MAN"                - peter