E.P. Oils?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: E.P. Oils?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 92 13:39:12 pdt
My snake manual recommends E.P. 90 oil for the transmission (Borg
Warner T-10) and, amongst others, hypoid gear oil S.A.E 90 and Engersol
E.P.  S.A.E 90 for the differential (4 HU Salisbury with POWR-LOK
limited slip).  This sort of sound like I can use the same oil in both.
But I would think hypoid gear oil only should be used in the diff.
Since hypoid gear oils contain sulphur compounds which form sulphuric
acid, it seems to me to use it in the transmission runs the risk of
having the copper in the brass synchros eaten up.  I looked in the Ford
manual to clarify things (at least with respect to the T-10) and found
even less information.  It just recommends E.P.  oil without specifying
the weight.  Just what does E.P.  stand for, anyway?

Speaking of oil, I haven't noticed any additional leakage from the rack &
pinion unit.  I think the glob of grease I found earlier may have been a
drip from when I was greasing the front suspension.

Roland