Re: Major battery drain while starting

To: british-cars@hoosier (SOL list)
Subject: Re: Major battery drain while starting
From: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 92 18:59:38 CDT
> >TRF wants $190 for a rebuilt starter, and unfortunately they don't list
> >all the individual parts so that I can't do it myself.  Is rewinding an
> >armature something an electrical shop can do for me?  Is this worth pursing
> >or should I just fork over the $$ and get an entire rebuilt unit?  Would
> >a rebuilt unit have a 20-year-old armature inside with original wiring
> >with decaying (shellac?) insulation, like mine?
>
> A *good* electrical shop should be able to completely restore it,
> including new windings.  A disreputable shop might just do little more
> than repaint it and try to convince you it's fixed... I understand that
> the ratio of incompetent to excellent auto-electrical rebuilders is
> dismally high.  However, the cost to rebuild it may be almost as high as
> TRF's price... .

I had the starter on the Alpine rebuilt by a local shop last summer,
the cost was $55 if memory serves.  It has worked perfectly ever
since.  I'd recommend that route first if you can find a decent shop
in your area.
--
T.J. Higgins | tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com | Intergraph Mapping Div | Huntsville, AL
"It's a parallax, you dig?" -- Rush