Further tales of an intermittant MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Further tales of an intermittant MGB
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1992 10:08:34 -0700

Well I took the advise of all and used almost all of the advise that I
received. I have no way of knowing what actually solved the problem.
But... I do know that there is one less chaffed wire that leaks high
voltage.

I replaced the points and condenser, redid the ground strap and added a
new one also. I (the car) have a habit of breaking the the mounting stud
on the rear of the altenator that mounts to the block, on the backside
of the altenator. I have not figured out how it is doing this. All of
the pulleys are all lined up and the waterpump and the altenator are new
so I beleive that they should not be a problem, the harmonic balancer
and pulley appear to be straight and they seem to all line up correctly.
I just don't have a clue as to why it is breaking, but alas this is
another problem to be fixed.

I did find a wire that was chaffed in the harnes that goes from the
distributor to the coil, among other places. Quick question before I
relate how new hairdos can be aquired while working on a LBC. Should
there be high volts in this bundle from the coil to the distributor?

The reason I ask the above question is that after getting the car
running I thought I would jiggle all of the different places that it
might be chaffed and grounding out thus causing the car to die. Well I
found a place that had some excess electrons floating around waiting for
a place to go. Well I gave the opportunity for them to find a nice way
to get to ground, right through me |-() I already have curly long hair,
well it still is rather long, but I beleive that there are a few more
curls now than when I started this endeavor. It appeared that the wire
from the coil to the distributor, the little one that goes from one side
of the coil to the side of the distributor. Well it is now a new piece
of wire.

I am quite convinced that my neighbors know beyond a shadow of a doubt
that I am not a church going man at this point. I let out a spiel of
sailor style swears that would have made the most hardened type blush.
There is nothing like taking a jolt from the iginition system and then
hitting everything in the engine cavity that your arms and head can come
in contact with.

But after all of that the car seems to be running great. Not once has
the car even faltered.

So my hat goes off to all who responded with suggestions, they were most
informative and helpful. Once again we triumph over Joe Lucas and a P.O..

Bruce...