TR6 battery suck (bad starter) and beyond

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 battery suck (bad starter) and beyond
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 92 20:09:29 PDT
Well, I pulled my starter and disassembled it this morning.

It's a total wreck, I'm surprised it worked at all.

The drive-side bush was *gone* and the housing underneath eaten away, The
armature shaft badly worn and scored, the pinion gear fairly munched at the
end but otherwise OK.  The commutator side bush was *mostly gone*, worn
through more than half the way around.  Shaft at this end also damaged, with
bronze bits welded to surface (kinda bumpy-orange like) for variety.

The commutator was pretty cupped from wear but would have been servicable
with some work.  The windings looked OK.  I didn't bother sticking a meter
on it to check electrical anything since the mechanical was so bad.  The
brushes were pretty badly worn/scored as expected.

Everything inside was covered with conducting metal powder!!: copper
(commutator), bronze (bushes), steel (housing); plus carbon, rust, dirt,
grease, etc.  It looked like someone had buried it in the back yard
for ten years...

Every wearing part is 23-years worn.
 The housing is damaged.
  To hell with it.

The local-rebuild job I inspected today was a piece-a-shit, I didn't buy
it.  I ordered a Lucas-factory-rebuilt unit from TRF for $$ instead.  Ah
my little red money pit...

But it does vroom vroom very nicely when it's running, so it's worth it.

And I'm almost out of original systems to rebuild...

NEXT: The carbs are the last thing on the fix-list!  This weekend's project
   while I wait for the starter.  More exciting damage reports to come!  8-|

--ian