alternator

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator
From: T Cox <tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 92 06:45:17 PDT
I am in the process of rebuilding my altenator and have run into a slight snag.
 I have two alternators so that I can keep me on the road since my alternators
have a tendency to go away.  The problem is that I thought I would be able to
use one as a guide to rebuild the other but when I took the top off the second
one I found that they have different types of regulators.  What's worse is that
the regulator I bought to replace the original isn't even the same.

The regulator on the first alternator had a yellow, green and black wire.  The
one I bought to replace it has a yellow and black wire.  The other regulator
looks like a backyard project so I don't even want to talk about it.

I went through and replaced the brushes, which were just black dust all over
the alternator, and I am now in the process of replacing the regulator and the
rectifier.  I figure as long as I have it appart, I may as well replace the
guts.

Does anyone know why these regulators have differnt wires coming off of them
and if it is going to make a difference when I replace the regulator if it is
"missing" a wire?

Anyway, who ever thought there would be a drought in Seattle?

tcox@dom1.nuwes.sea06.navy.mil