Carburetor report

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Carburetor report
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 92 11:45:56 PDT
Pulled and disassembled my 175's over the weekend.  All in all they were in
pretty decent shape aside from being greasy messes.  Notably:

    *   Both cold-start unit gaskets were missing!  I'm sure it was sucking
        air there since it's not a precision fit, so that's nice to fix.

    *   Both needles are fairly scraped, I'm ordering new ones.  It appears
        that the jet is not removeable?  It's pressed into place and I never
        see it mentioned as a separate part anywhere.  I thought you should
        always replace the jet & needle as a pair when one is worn?

    *   The temperature compensator covers were badly warped and didn't seat
        well at all.  I'm having a real hard time finding replacements for
        these.  Noone has them in stock, and new compensator units are $50
        each.  Still looking...

    *   Bypass value diaphragm ripped on the front carb.

Other than the above it looks good; not much wear in the important places.  A
good dunk in carb cleaner plus lots of aerosol toxic waste and it cleaned up
nicely.  Helicoil the two stripped air-cleaner mounting holes and find temp
compensator covers and I think they'll work fine.

--ian