Legal emissions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Legal emissions
From: Dave Roberts <dlr@memlab.psych.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 92 16:41:20 EDT
I'm in the process of restoring and modifying a 77 MGB.  I'm about
ready to reinstall the engine, but I'm concerned about the new
emissions standards in North Carolina.  I keep getting told that
original style equipment is required.  The car I bought three years
ago has a 69 engine, a Webber down draft carburetor, headers, and a
points ignition system.  Is there a way of installing sufficient
emissions control equipment without having to buy original style
everything.  I can't afford to right now.  However, I could afford
to install a generic catalytic converter after the header, and an
air pump off of something.  I can make an adapter bracket.  I'd like
to make it legal with as little money as possible.  Please advise me.

I have another minor problem.  I was pressing out the U-Joints, and
one of the cups cracked, making a pretty deep cut in the axle.  Does
any one know if it would work to fill the cut with a machinable weld,
and ream it to the proper diameter.  I have access to a milling
machine to keep things properly aligned.

I have just finished doing a major suspension overhaul on the same
car, including nylatron bushings every place I could put them, rear
tube shocks, and Moss Motor's Coil-over front suspension conversion
kit.  I don't know how well these changes will work yet, but I
already know it has a much stiffer suspension, because I can barely
bounce any corner by hand now.

I'll start doing cosmetic work after I get all of the mechanics done.

-David Lee Roberts