Re: Anti-Sway bars and MGBs

To: brucec@amex-trs.com
Subject: Re: Anti-Sway bars and MGBs
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 92 13:00:00 CDT
Bruce Carter writes >

>I have a '77 MGB, that is more or less stock,
>The tyres I am running on the car are
>215R60x14 on Rostyle wheels,

IMHO these tires are too wide for the 5.5" wheels.  They are at 65% and I never
like to run below 70%.  195s would be OK, at 72%, but 185-60-14 really work
well at 75.5%.  My buddy Brian autocrosses with this setup, and it works fine.
He would not go to bigger tires without wider wheels.

You have to put too much air in over-wide tires to keep them from rolling over.
This makes your contact patch smaller.  Thus you are faced with the choice of
driving on the sidewall or losing contact patch area.  If you want to corner
faster, get stickier tires, not bigger ones, unless you have wider wheels to
handle them.

>and this may be the source of the problem.

I don't think so.

>the only clue that it has
>broke free again is that I have this very annoying rattle where the bar
>rattles around in the mount without the rubber bush.

So has anybody ever had this problem

Yes.  These are the rear swaybar body mounts.
Brian is always pushing them back in when they work themselves out.

>and have a clue as to what might be causing this phenomenon?

Just the day-to-day movement of the car, in all directions.  Gluing the
bushings into the mounts with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive and putting
silicone grease between the bar and the bushing would probably take care of it.
Brian does not do this because on some courses he likes to run with the
bushings loose, and intentionally shoves them out.  On a streeter, I'd glue
them.

>Here in Phoenix we have some of the
>roughest, pot-hole ridden roads known to man.

This makes the swaybar work harder, so I am sure that it is a factor.

>I have wondered if it would
>also be to my benefit to use Lock-tite or some such.

Yes.  Nylock nuts are also great.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (infrequent mail checks)
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (lists go here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman