RE:Tire Sizes again

To: british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE:Tire Sizes again
From: min@Kodak.COM (Mark Niedzielski (722-5938))
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 92 11:07:27 EDT
|From esprit!netcomsv.netcom.com!keps.kodak.com!rbt%dracut@netcom.com
|Tue Sep  1 19:12:18 1992
|At LOG XII a friend (who owns a Europa), myself, and a few others were
|observing
|some of the hideously wide tires on the Europas that were auto-Xing.
|The concensus was that the Europa being such a light car that this was overkill
|and owners did it more for "macho appearance" than any practical value.
|I believe a 175/70 was more than enough tire (especially with sticky Yoko's)
|and would not suffer bump-steer effects on the street and it would also ride
|as designed. Not owning a Europa, I can't confirm this, but it makes sense.
|I can also imagine that wide tires could also make the "quick/nimble/light"
|steering on the Europa get heavy at slower speeds, even though it's such a
|light car (I know my Esprit steering is heavy at parking lot speeds, but
|feels fine once underway).

What size tires/wheels were being used?  Although the steering feel
is an issue, I suspect that the biggest problem/penalty would be the
added unsprung weight.  The one upgrade that I do wonder about is
175/60-14 front and 185/60-14 rear (upgraded from the 175HR13 front
185HR13 rear that was optional on the special).  This would reduce
sidewall height and a light wheel might actually reduce unsprung
weight.

Mark