Re: Car dies - help

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car dies - help
From: totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 14:14:34 CDT
> It sounds like your Spitfire has the original Lucas electronic
> ignition with the amplifier mounted under the distributor.

        I have a 1980 Spitfire with the amplifier mounted by the clutch
        and brake hydraulics, and a magnetic distributor.  I had my car
        die on a hot day in a similar manner.  It would lose power, and
        then quickly die, unable to restart.  I never found the problem,
        since it would go away on cooling, and I didn't have tools to test
        it when I was stranded.

        Since then, I have installed an Allison optical ignition and a new
        spark coil.  I also changed the head gasket in case I had steam
        blowing into the cylinders.  I'm still a bit scared to go on long
        trips in case this happens again.

        I'd be very happy if people could verify that the ignition was likely
        the problem, because then I can increase my 'radius of safety',
        indicating how far I can drive while maintaining a high probability
        of getting back.