Re: rain-x

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rain-x
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee M. Daniels, Texas A&M)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1992 20:16:44 -0500 (CDT)
> Has anyone used that RAIN-X stuff on their windshield?

At the risk of beating this subject into a rain-soaked mass:  Here's the
unabashed truth about it.  Rain-X is great for highway driving, just so-so
for other driving, and Forget-It if you're not willing to put it on every
month or so.  I keep it on my road car and I love it.  Proper prep and
application is a must.  Got to give it two or three hard-rubbed coats the
first time, and one or even two every several hours of rain.   I never use
my wipers on the highway any more; in fact, wipers will ruin the surface
after a while and the view will be worse than without Rain-X.  If you
decide to quit using it, be prepared to have a streaky mess on your
windshield until it all wears off; no amount of Windex or other stuff will
get it off -- it's actually a physico-chemical modification of the surface
that has to be worn (or polished) off.

I had it for a while on my in-town daily dog, but no more.  Since in-town
driving rarely (for us here in College Station) gets fast enough to blow
the drops off, I have to use the wipers, which ruins the surface after a
while.

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726