Re: Gaskets

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gaskets
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1992 14:50:55 CDT
Kendall (kendallr@smtplink.chey.com) writes:
> I have sort of a remedial question, but how and when do you apply gasket
> sealant?

As far as I know, you always use it. I don't know of any gaskets that are
installed dry. (Hmmm. Maybe little ones in a carburetor? It's been a while.)

> Does it go on both sides of the gasket?

Yes.

> Are there places where you shouldn't use it (I'm mostly referring to the
> inside of a motor)?

Not that I'm aware of. I do however draw a distinction between gasket sealers
that are thin adhesives and those of full-bodied goop consistency. My rule
of thumb, possibly about to be blown sky-high by others on this list, is that
a thin spray-type sealer works on the gasket of one machined surface meeting
another machined surface (e.g. cylinder head to block), and a goopy sealer
works on other applications (e.g. pressed steel rocker covers to head, or oil
pan to block).

-- Andy