New (for me) MGB!!!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New (for me) MGB!!!
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 15:50:03 EST
|Date: 10-27-92  4:47pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: New (for me) MGB!!!
  For the past few months, I had been casually scanning the classifieds
looking at MGB's and TR-6's.  This past weekend and ad caught my eye.
1980 MGB, no rust well maint. $1550/obo.  Normally, I don't even bother
looking at anything in that price range, but the no rust caught my eye.
So I went to look at it last night and was impressed.  It's had one
owner from new, female (bonus) and she asked her mechanic to sell it for
her.  I had it checked out at the local brit-car place (Mount Joy's for
those in DC area) adn for $50 found out all the apparant problems.  I
found out that it wasn't quite rust free, but close.  It has some real
early rust in the rear quarter/rocker on both sides, standard B stuff.
The brit-car place gave me a $500 estimate for patch panels, so I could
probably get it done cheaper someplace else.
    But, overall, the car was pretty sound.  Original car needing some
TLC.  It's drivable as is, but it will need a few things for me to feel
safe in it.  The rear window is a little fogged, but possibly
salvagable.  The interior is worn, but original.  Rear axle oil seals
need renewed.  Flexible brake hoses
in front need renewed.  Engine/gearbox rubber mounts need renewed.
    In the end, I got it for $1300.  I get to pick it up on Friday,
right when it's supposed to start getting a bit colder.

   So, now I've got two LBC's once again and I feel happier.  I didn't
think the Midget would be very good on the highway.

    Dean