Last run of the year & electric cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Last run of the year & electric cars
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1992 10:14:12 -0500 (EST)
We had a real rarity in Michigan Sunday - a sunny day in November (second
one this month!), so we took the TR8 out for one last run.  A little too
cold to take the top down though (about 40F).  We're on the edge of the
urban area here, so it doesn't take long to get onto country roads.  I
restrained myself and only let it up to 75 for brief periods :-)

At the end, it was time to put it away for the Winter.  Normally, I put
it up on stands and blocks.  Occasionally, we'll get a blast of warm
moist air when the ground (and cars) are still cold with the resulting
condensation.  Last year, this happened and the water wicked under the
pads on the disks.  The resulting corrosion under the pads was so bad I
had to skim the disks.  This time I taped garbage bags around the disks
with some silica gel dessicant in the bottom AND moved the pads back
from the disks.  I also put small bags of silica gel in the exhaust and
air cleaner intake ports before sealing them up.  The battery is out and
will be on a trickle charger in a couple of weeks to keep it fresh.

Looks like its time to start thumbing through Rimmer's catalog and order
the rest of the parts for next year's front end rebuild :-)  *sigh* April
looks like a loong way away ...

Looks like a good time to start working on that Stag engine ...

BTW, I noticed someone was interested in electric conversions a little
while ago.  I remembered this as I tripped over the jet engine starter/
generators I have hanging around my garage.  I got these a long time
ago to put into an electric car.  The car never materialized, but I
have a couple of these and it would be nice to get rid of them.  If
anyone wants them, they can have them for $20ea (I have 2), but you have
to pick 'em up -- they're around 80lbs each.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | '70 E-type (boxes)