Re: Fix an old Temperature Gauge?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fix an old Temperature Gauge?
From: lydia@rosa.mit.edu (Lydia Gregoret)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 12:50:44 -0500
"Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com> writes:

>I have an old (~15-20 years) mechanical underdash gauge set (Temp/Amps/Oil
>Pressure) where the temperature gauge has expired. It looks like the little
>capillary tube connecting the gauge to the sender bulb has probably sprung
>a leak. Are these things repairable in any way? I kind of hate to have to
>install a modern replacement set as it won't have the same contemporary
>look as the rest of the dash. Any advice appreciated.

I looked into this once.  On the '66 MGB, the oil pressure and
temperature gauges are within one unit.  The capillary on our temp
gauge is broken.  I was told (I think by Moss Motors and British
Motorsports and perhaps even on this list) that the only solution would
be to replace the entire thing including both the oil pressure and
temperature capillaries and sensors.  Replacements are expensive (well,
for me anyway ~$200?) and hard to come by.  If anyone is an expert
capillary welder, let me know as well!

Lydia Gregoret
lydia@rosa.mit.edu