RE: Alternative to Colortune

To: "British.cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternative to Colortune
From: Shel Hall <76701.103@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 16 Dec 92 23:55:07 EST
Folks-

PATRICK KREJCIK <PKR@SLACVM.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>, in discussing his
"Alternative to ColorTune" says ...

>>> ... I am content with my plug colour [test]. Reminds me of the
anecdote of the Italien pit stop mechanics who could spot a fouled plug
mid race by spitting on each manifold in turn, much as you would spit on
a hot iron. My old professor swears this to be a true story - anyone
else heard it? <<<

No, but I've seen movies of pre-war Mercedes or Auto-Union pit-stops,
where one of the mechanics would lick his finger and apply it in rapid
succesion to each of the 16 exhaust manifold branches on the V-16
engine, the object being to spot any dead cylinders by their cold
exhaust pipes.

WRT exhaust gas temperature probes ... They work on aircraft mostly
because light recip aircraft engine run at a pretty constant speed and
load most of the time; I'm not so sure they would be all that
informative on a car engine, especially with the extra thermal inertia
of the cast-iron manifold, compared to the light tubing on airplanes.
You could tell if one cylinder (or a pair of them) were getting overly
hot, but I doubt you could tell much about the overall mixture except
at cruising speed.

-Shel