MG Wiring queries

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Wiring queries
From: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman )
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 14:47:12 EST
Further to my problem with the MG wiring burnout, the plot thickens
somewhat.

Earlier in the piece someone (do not remember who) indicated that the
Lucas coils had an integral Ballast Resistor.
Having had a look at the wiring daigram, and having also had a look
at Moss Bros Spares Catalog and SE7EN's catalog, it would appear that
this is not actually the case.
Whats more, logically it seems unlikely that there is an in-built
ballast resistor.
The purpose of the ballast resistor is to reduce the voltage/current
passing through the coil, after the car has actually been started.
This is achieved by the ignition switch making contact with different
wires within the loom, and thus controlling when the ballast resistor is
brought into play. If the Lucas coil has only two connectors, then how does
coil/system know when it should be passing through the 12 volts, and when
should it be passing through the 8volts (or whatever the reduced reading is)?

My answer would be that there is a device called a "resistive wire" which
takes the place of the ballast resistor, and thus the control is still by
way of the ignition switch.

While all this is very interesting, it still has not sorted out my short!
What are ths symptoms of:
a) a burnt out "resistive wire"?
b) a faulty ignition relay(ignore the funnies here).

I look forward to any hellp/comments.

Arthur