Parting out '70 Midget in San Jose, CA.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Parting out '70 Midget in San Jose, CA.
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 93 23:56:50 PDT
          Well it just so happens that the Stone fleet grew
     again this weekend, in the form of a very rusty '70
     Midget. But rather than further stressing the already
     tenuous parking situation in my neighborhood, this one
     must go, and soon. So it is .....

     1970 MG Midget
     The good: 1275 w/a spun #1 rod bearing, currently not
     running. Ribcase, 4.22, factory oil cooler, crossflow
     radiator, all smog equipment appears to be intact.
     Curiously enough, the #'s indicate this to be a
     high-compression motor coupled to a close-ratio
     gearbox. Anybody seen that before ?
     Wire wheels, front sway bar, front disc brakes.
     Gauges (ex. speedo), switches, steering wheel, all
     underhood stuff is there and appears to be good.
     Bumpers, doors & hood so-so, trunk is fine.

     The bad: Above-mentioned spun bearing, no seats, top
     bows broken in a spot (could be welded), and rust. Did
     I say rust ? When I got underneath to look at the crank
     journal (oil pan off), I was scared the car would
     collapse on me right then and there. The true Fred
     Flintstone-mobile, with the entire driver's side frame
     rail eaten away. Some ham-fisted welder did do a
     reasonable job of building up the front bumper supports
     with boiler plate, which explains why it sits a little
     low in front, but other than that it's got it bad.

     What's spoken for: Possibly the engine/trans, but if so
     then I will have a 1098 w/down draft Weber &
     snmoothcase trans for sale instead. Hey, the family
     Sprites get first shot at my spares.

          Locals can check the car out at the Mini-Mania
     swap meet on 7/18, and lrc, if you could be so kind,
     could you please post this for me to ba.cars.forsale ?
     A newkie for your efforts at the next SCARE @ the Duck ....

          please e-mail me direct if you're interested in
     any parts.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com