Speedo Calibration...

To: <british-cars%autox.team.net@MVDNS1.MV-oc.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Speedo Calibration...
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.mv-oc.Unisys.COM
Date: 07 JUL 93 14:41
  >magnetic field strength.  For my MG TF-1500 I set up a drill motor on
   the bench with a speed controller, optical shaft pickup and frequency
   counter to drive the speedo at known speeds.  I put a large DC current
   thru a Radio Shack tape degausser to magnetize the speedo's bar to a
   high field strength, then carefully used AC on the degausser to decrease
   the field strength till the speedo read correctly.  It worked!

  < -Dave Plumpe

   You've GOT to be kidding! High-tech meets Brit-tech! I should think
   that the the PROPER way to calibrate a Jaeger or Smiths speedometer
   would involve something like taking a small length of narrow diameter
   hose and feeding in through the back of the Speedometer and driving
   around while blowing into the hose with your ear to the instrument in
   order to listen for the proper change in pitch.  If it's too high,
   dismantle the differential and replace the pinion gear with one
   of lower ratio. If too low, with one of higher ratio. Repeat
   until the pitch is right, or the car is totaled. "Reassembly is
   simply the reverse of the above."

   Seriously: is this how it's normally done, or do you now have something
   marketable?
*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA                        '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                             '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com              '88 ISUZU Trooper*