Caliper rebuild for midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Caliper rebuild for midget
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 08:40:36 -0400 (EDT)
> |Date: 7-13-93  11:47am
> |From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
> |  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
> |Subj: Caliper rebuild for midget
> - ------------------------------------------------------------------
>     I rebuilt the calipers on my midget last night.  They had been
> sticking from time to time, so I thought why not do it now.  Well,
> everything came apart real easily.  The cause of the sticking seemed
> pretty obvious, the pistons were pretty well pitted.  I assume that
> it doesn't take much pitting to make these stick.
>     I'll be checking into new pistons today.  In the mean time does
> anyone have any helpful hints about rebuilding these right.

Be sure to replace the flex hoses as well.  When they get old,
sometimes they can get plugged and act as one-way valves.  I had this
happen to me on a Volvo and, more recently, on my TR8.  The Volvo disk
got hot enough to warp when the caliper stuck (a nice cherry red :-).
It was a big surprise to me to pull the caliper off and find it worked
fine, but no fluid leaked out of the flex hose.

The '8 got hot enough to boil the grease out of the bearings (not a
pretty sight, but replacement parts should be in today).

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | Amaranth's law of economics: