Re: British Cars Digest #881 Wed Jul 14 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #881 Wed Jul 14 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 15:39:15 -0400
>Okay, folks.  I've talked before (and about four or five of you now
>have seen it now) about the problem with the mounting ring splitting
>at the base of Lucas 25D4 distributors.  Well, the ring is missing
>through about 120 degrees on the distributor that came out of the
>Green Car.  I don't want to use it, which is too bad as it has no
>wobble and checks out fine on Charlie Rockwell's scope.

        All 25D4's have broken mounting rings.  I think they came from the
factory like that... :-)

        It's because of the stupid mechanical design used to hold them in
place (look at the "clamp" that grabs that ring some time, and them imagine
what happens the first time some teenager at a dealer/whatever tightens it
down during a tuneup "to make sure it doesn't slip".)

        I've never actually seen any real problems due to the broken ring.
It may make it a bit harder to get it tight, but I never had a problem.

        Randell Jesup