Re: Dashboards

To: unmc.edu!mburdick@uunet.pa.dec.com (Mike Burdick)
Subject: Re: Dashboards
From: martine@informix.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 11:38:32 PDT
> An electrical trouble shooting session has turned into a dashboard
> remove/replace session.  The original dash has delaminated and begun
> to rot so I want to make a new one.  It would probably be easier to
> make one out of a solid piece of wood, but since the original was made
> out of plywood, I'm wondering if there is some advantage to doing it
> that way.
>
> Has anyone made their own dash?  What materials did you use and how
> have they held up?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> mburdick@unmc.edu

I did this for my GT6 last Spring.  Basically I used 1/8th
inch plywood laminated with pine.  A few coats of Black
Walnut stain darkened it up quite nicely.

Then using the original dash as a template, I cut out the new
dash (with minor mods -- I added an oil pressure guage, replaced
the switches, etc.).  The whole operation took very little
real working time, most of it was waiting for the stain to
dry, etc.

My next plan is to replace the fibre door panels with the same
1/8th inch veneer.  That should be even easier as there are fewer
cuts required.

Later,
  Martine