New ring advice

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New ring advice
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 93 10:45:01 EDT
My MGB chewed up a piston back in June and after finally getting it
apart in the last couple weeks I decided I am going to go ahead and
replace the bad piston with a used piston from my parts car (amazingly
they match despite the differing years of the engines.)  I am going to
replace the piston rings and rod bearings on all 4 cylinders.  As
usual, I have a couple of questions.  First which piston pin should I
use, the one currently used with new piston or the on that was with
the old piston, but matches the connecting rod?  Or doesn't it matter?
Second, what is the best way to get new rings on a piston?  How should
the ring gaps line up with each other (my pistons have three
compression and one oil ring)? 120 degrees apart? What other
stuff should I watch for? What can I use to flush the oil passages to
make sure I get all the little bits of piston out?  I really didn't
see any except what is baked to the top of the bad piston and the
bottom of the head.

Thanks,

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com