too rich, too lean...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: too rich, too lean...
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1993 10:30:39 -0500
OK, I've heard this both ways now.  Time to ask wisdom.net

What will happen if I fit a less restrictive exhaust to my car?
(1)  My cats are currently plugged up (restrictive exhaust).  That means
some of the exhaust gases remain in the cylinders thus diluting the
air/fuel mix and the car runs too lean.  Put on a more restrictive
exhaust, your car will run leaner.  Thus, putting on a less restrictive
exhaust and the car will run richer??
(2)  Better scavenging (is that spelled right?) so the car will
run leaner with a less restrictive exhaust (no further explanation
given).

Help!  Which is right?  Is my leap of logic in (1) flawed somehow?

jim