Re: Europa locked differential, or not?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Europa locked differential, or not?
From: Mark V Grieshaber <mvgrie@shute.monsanto.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 93 11:47:36 CDT
Phil said:

> 2.  Someone has locked the differential.  Maybe.
>
> Is there a failure mode that can mimic this?  There is no play at all
> between the wheels.  No noise, scraping, clunking or the like.  When the
> wheels are turned the same direction as each other, the bearings all seem
> smooth and silent.
> I would be interested in any input on driving a Europa with a locked
> differential, driving an autocross with a locked differential, or, most to

When I bought my Land Rover, it had a broken right rear axle.  This is a
known failure mode on Land Rovers (sort of a mechanical fuse to protect the
rest of the drivetrain), so I wasn't too worried.  To remove the broken off
end of the axle, I had to pull the rear differential.  When I removed it, I
found that the PO had permanently locked it by arc welding the inside
spider gear assembly solid.  This is what caused the broken axle (as well
as twisting the remaining axle through almost 40 degrees).  The axles on a
Land Rover are solid steel about 1 inch in diameter.  I am trying to find a
replacement differential at this point, because I don't want this to happen
again.  (Anyone have a spare Land Rover differential?)

It seems to me that, other than for drag racers (straight line only) and
permanent off road vehicles (dune buggies in sand) a *permanently* locked
differential is a BAD thing.  Everytime you turn a corner, you must skid
the outside tire, as well as putting a large strain on the rear end.
Is there some advantage to a locked diff that I am missing here?

Unless you find out you have a positraction unit (or some other situation
that explains what you are seeing), I'd pull the diff and examine it.

Mark
mvgrie@shute.monsanto.com