colour tune

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List)
Subject: colour tune
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 93 9:57:21 EST
Hello All
  There's not much British content here but since a lot of you use the
colour tune kit maybe you can help.

  I got one about a week ago and tried it on my '78 corolla (SD1 is having
it's heater fixed).  The corolla has a dual throat downdraft connected to a
manifold with 4 curving branches, 1166cc engine.  Anyway hooked the colourtune
into cylinder number one, which is on the other side of the engine to the carb
so I had to use that mirror attachment.  I didn't have much time and I repeat
for all cylinder tonight, but the results were interesting.

Test One
Idle mixture.  Couldn't get a yellow flame at all.  I suspect a vacumm leak
somewhere.  Manifold vacuum though is ok at about 17mmHg.

I know you're not suppose to go on from here if one fails but I did anyway.

Test Two
Slowly raise to 4000rpm and release.  Worked fine.  Blue colour all the way
with rapidly increasing spark.

Test Three
Quickly to 3-4000rpm and release.  Real bad.  The engine climbs roughly.  I
could see no flame colour until I released (then yellow) and the spark seemed
erratic.  It'll be interesting to see what the other cylinders are like.
Maybe this is why I have no power under load.  Combined with this lack of
flame was a high pitched chiming that increase with rpm.  Is this pinging
or just the colour tune?  Don't seem to have it with the spark plug in.

Any clues on the misfiring?  Once after a tune up and new points the
distributor cam was left dry.  The car was misfiring all over the place.
A bit of grease on cam and it ran smooth.  That's not the problem this time
but maybe it's related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to learn why things go wrong
before fixing them.

For the vacuum leak, I've got the mainfold/engine gaskets and I was going to
rebuild the carb.  Is it worthwhile getting new jets and accelerator pump?
Maybe all I need is the gasket kit.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker