2nd Annual Day Before The Britcars Meet Tour!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 2nd Annual Day Before The Britcars Meet Tour!
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 16:43:27 PDT
Attention, Bay Area SOLs!  It's time to start getting your car in
shape for the...

    Second Annual "Day Before The Britcars Meet"
            Sports Car Tour and Picnic

What:       A scenic road through some of the best forest,
            mountain, and seaside roads on the San Francisco
            Peninsula

When:       Saturday, September 11 (I'm reasonably certain; the
            Britcars meet in Palo Alto always takes place the
            Sunday *after* Labor Day, which is the 4th-6th)

Who:        Scott Fisher #1 is the contact point for this event.
            The original tour route is one of Teri Ann Wakeman's
            legendary mountain road runs, with refinements and
            a year's worth of research adding to the fun.

            Anyone with a British Car is invited. SOLs of course
            are welcome even if the Britcar is under the weather
            (we might have one of the non-British Fisher cars as
            a support vehicle).  Other British car clubs are
            welcome; last year we had fun with some Jensen-Healey
            Club members, and I hope we have other British cars
            this year too.  I'll be putting up a flyer in O'Connor
            Classics, and also mentioning the event in the Mercury
            News article on the route of the tour.  I might keep
            a handful of flyers on hand at the Historics, too, to
            hand out to likely-looking British car owners I meet.

Where:      Over about 100 miles of winding two-lane that goes up
            and down the Santa Cruz Mountains, with stops in
            San Gregorio, Pescadero, Bonny Doon, Felton, and
            Boulder Creek.  Tour originates from Palo Alto,
            not far from the site of the British Car Day: in the
            parking lot of the Elks Lodge on El Camino Real, near
            Arastradero Road.  Departure time is 9:30 AM -- we
            have a full day of the best sports-car roads on the
            Peninsula ahead of us.

            Planned stops include a visit to the San Gregorio
            General store (a real Northern California icon),
            Norm's Market in Pescadero for amazingly good fresh
            baked goods (try their artichoke focaccia for a super
            picnic bread), Bonny Doon Winery for a semiprivate
            tour and tasting, a picnic at a site to be announced
            (right now we're debating on the grass airstrip on
            Empire Grade, or the picnic grounds at Hallcrest
            Vineyards in Felton), and several optional plans
            including the Hakone Gardens in Saratoga and
            possibly an early dinner in Cupertino (location to
            be announced).

How much:   The tour is free, of course.  You'll need enough gas,
            oil and coolant (:-) to make a trip of about 110 miles;
            the picnic lunch will be inexpensive, there is no cost
            for the winery tour (but you might want to pick up a
            bottle or two to take home), and if you choose to join
            us for dinner, I'll try to pick somewhere that will
            serve good food for under $10 a person.

If You'd    The route is set, I can make copies and draw maps, but
Like To     I can always use assistants one way or another.  There's
Help        no reward other than the sense of helping nice people to
            have a great day with cars we all love.  Mainly I could
            use people who have contacts with other clubs to call
            them and let them know.  I'd love for this to be a rolling
            version of the Britcars Meet, low-key and fun.

            (Actually, what I'd *really* love is to make my living
            setting up these tours and driving them... anybody got
            some venture capital? :-)

For more    Call Scott Fisher at (408) 441-3141 or (408) 736-3124
info        in the evenings, or send electronic mail via the Internet
            to sfisher@megatest.com.