STOLEN LOTUS EUROPA

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: STOLEN LOTUS EUROPA
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 11:12:12 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded message:
>From phile Thu Aug  5 11:08:34 1993
From: phile (Philip J Ethier)
To: phile (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 11:08:30 -0500 (CDT)

WATCH FOR A "COCK-EYED" EUROPA (see explanation below)

This car was taken from a garage in Shoreview, Minnesota on 8-4-93

It is a Renault-powered 1970 Lotus Europa S2.  This is the version BEFORE
they put in the Twin Cam engine and cut away the sails on the rear
fenders. It had Minnesota Collector plates "GC 007" on it, but I don't
expect those will last very long.  At the time it was stolen, it was
metallic burgundy.  It had trick suspension stuff, notably a sway bar
mounted to a custom subframe on the rear of the car.  This is visible when
following the car and is NOT a common modification.  The engine is a
non-crossflow pushrod.  This one has an aftermarket single side-draft
Weber carb and header on the left side of the engine.

There is one odd thing about the body that they probably can't/won't
change if/when they repaint it, at least not in a short period of time.
The left front fender/headlight is normal S2, but the right one was
pirated from the rare S1 model.  The right headlight is lower than the
left.  The line of the front part of the right fender is lower than the
left fender.  The shape of the headlight openings are different from each
other.  The right headlight opening wraps around the headlight more than
the left opening does.  This is very unusual, probably unique.  When you
consider there were only about 5000 Renault-Europas made, this has to be a
tip-off.

Also, when the five-point belts were put in, there were some box-section
braces for the shoulder belts attached (welded, I think) to the frame in
the engine compartment.  This is another unusual modification.

I don't have the serial number yet, but I should get it soon.  I know that
they can change it easily enough in the several plates on which it
appears, but I know of a place that they may not know of where it would be
more difficult to change.

If you see or are offered for sale a "cock-eyed" Europa, call your local
police.   They can follow up with the Ramsey County Sheriff's Department
at (612) 484-3366

Also feel free to contact me.  My buddy had his house cleaned out when
they stole his car, and he is just devastated.  The thieves were pros.
They knew what to take and what not to take in the house, so I don't
expect this car to be just a joyride around town.   It may already be in
Chicago or someplace else.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN    55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324    phile@stpaul.gov                    USA