lube for rubber bushings?

To: "british-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: lube for rubber bushings?
From: "Lt Tim Radsick" <RADSICKT@pl-edwards.af.mil>
Date: 12 Aug 93 10:49:00 PST
I just received a package from Special Interest Car
Parts which contained my front suspension rebuild kit
for the GT6mk3.  From notes I read on the list and
from personal responses, I now know I need to use a
press.  The base (Edwards AFB) has one, but before I
bring all the parts over to the auto hobby shop, I was
wondering if I need to use some sort of lubricant when
I press in the bushings.  I figure that using a press
will compress the rubber and thus, because of our good
engineering buddy Poisson and his nifty ratio, the
diameter of the bushing will increase and it will not
slide in gracefully.

Petroleum products, I assume, are out because I would
like to have the bushings not dissolve in a few hours.
Is there some product that is either made for this
purpose or can be used for this purpose?  In the
catalogs I have for the Porsche 914 they advertise a
product called Sil Glide that, I think, does the job.
I don't, however, think I can just hop down to the
local Poop (Pep) Boys and purchase it.  I would like
to work on the front end this weekend, so that sort of
eliminates anything sent on the OOPS (UPS) Truck.
Well, now that I have used a few hundred words to ask
one simple question, I will end this note.

Tim Radsick
'72 GT6mk3 -- '74 Porsche 914 -- '91 Honda CBR600F2