Midget caster

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Midget caster
From: gerry@hostel.affil.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 10:26 EDT
Subject:      Triumph Herald Coupes

For those of you who asked, the Herald is located Allied Foreign Car Parts in
Mount Holly, NJ ( 609-267-8923).

Subject:  Adjustable camber on midgets

There are several things you could do :
1 - get a set of offset bushings for the upper pivot mount. These bushings
are eccentric and replace the stock rubber bushings in the top trunnion.
By rotating the bushing you can move the top of the king in/out by as much as
3/4 ". This allows you to get as much +ve or -ve camber as you want. I have
a set installed in the Midget and am very pleased withe them. I have them set
at 1deg -VE, which seems to be the optimum for the type of driving that I do.
Winners Circle has all the parts.

2 - get a set on lower a-arm offset bushings. They do the same thing but are
located on the inner pivot points of the a-arm. (Never used them, don't know
how good they are)

3 - get a set of adjustable shock arms. These are basically threaded shock arms
which allow you to increase/decrease the length of the shock arm. NOVUS in CA
can do the work.

HOWEVER : If you have a stock Midget, with stock suspension & tyres, I would
not worry about your camber being slightly out - you probably would not
notice the difference. There is probably a lot of compliance in the stock rubber
bushings, that you would not feel any change in camber.

It only when you are trying to squeeze the last few ounces of performance
out of your suspension, that camber/toe/caster etc become critical (ie a small
change makes a huge difference). This AFTER you have spent a several hundred
dollars on uprated TRS.

Gerry