Ford Escorts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: Ford Escorts
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 12:52:04 BST
Hi,

This is probably a long shot as its about a contemporary car
but I thought I'd try the group. My father has a ~82 Escort
with a 1600 OHV engine, and the water pump has failed. The pump
is driven by the cam belt, and access to the bottom cam pulley/lower
cover/pump/etc is about nil as there is only about a 2" gap between
engine & wheelarch. (transverse engine)

Its really, really tough to get in there. Anyone got a similar
car & done this? The Haynes manual shows a slightly different
model & the obstructing lower cover is not part of that design.
Plus their engine is on a bench!
Essentially, the bottom pulley needs to come off to reveal
the lower-cover bolts, but that means disturbing the timing; requires
removing the starter to jam the flywheel to get the pulley bolt out,
and so on. Just ridiculous ...

I've got a Bad Feeling my Father & I (alas, he has no patience)
will be beaten & it means a tow to the garage.

My TR4 is (usually) much easier to fix!

On a different tack; I've been following the Midget gearbox
replacement saga with interest. Why a Spit gearbox? And I'd
be interested in furter clues on getting an o/d box in there.

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk