Rust Removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust Removal
From: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 10:17:53 -0400
I had  a couple of questions about the rust removal.

1)  the part should be the cathode

2)  this is for steel, your anode can be steel as well

3)  control the current flow by how deep you place
your anode into the solution.
use a max of 3 amps  (NOT 30 amps, oops I slipped a decimal point)
to avoid burning out your battery charger

The question was raised about using a steel bucket as the anode.
This doesn't allow for the above method of current control.  Commercial
devices with better safety switches on the power supplies do use this
approach.

No proportions were given for the molasses trick.  Lee Daniels
suggested it might be the sulfur present.  This could be.  No
current for this step, just dip the part in the molasses.  Watch out,
there are a lot of "low sulfur" molasses brands being sold because
of the perception that food additives are bad (can't be worse than
whats already in the molasses!).
(Mama always said I'd come to a sticky end in my lbc)

This was originally published in "hundreds and thousands"
the AH club rag from western canada as I understand it.
If I can find the original author to get permission I'll put the
article up.
Mark M. Banaszak Holl
Brown University