MG picnic

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MG picnic
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 11:57:21 -0500
Since no one else has posted anything about the MG picnic, I thought I'd
send something in.  Sorry if it's written from a Triumph point of view :-)

Went to the MG picnic in Grand Rapids, MI over the weekend (was home
visiting my folks).  The weather couldn't have been better.  I only
managed to get to the Saturday car show so maybe someone will fill us in
on the rest of the weekend?  Anyway, they had over 600 cars there
(probably)!  TRULY impressive.  MGs as far as the eye could see.  WHERE
did they all come from?  I've never seen that many british cars in one
spot in my entire life (recall that I live in Texas, far away from all the
neat east coast stuff).  Also a pretty casually organized event which came
off splendidly from my point of view.  They got a big hotel for everyone,
arranged track time at a local race track, and rented a park.  I'm sure
there was a lot of work that went on behind the scenes but EVERYONE I saw
was relaxed and having a great time (even event coordinators).  Too bad I
couldn't drive up in the TR8 :-(  They have an "Other British" class which
included a Rolls, a few Jags, a few big Healeys, a Sprite, and TWO
Triumphs.  One was a mint condition 1976 TR6;  the other was an original,
slightly worn 75 TR7 (which used to be mine :-).  I observed a curious
thing.  NOBODY gave the 6 any more than a glance;  the TR7, on the other
hand, got quite a few curious looks.  It certainly looked VERY odd sitting
there in a sea of MGs.  I was VERY amused to note, in fact, that the TR7
was placed right beside 47(!!) Limited Edition versions of the MGB.
Imagine coming to an event and having to park your "Limited Edition" with
47 other cars that look just as good as yours :-)

Saw several MGs with V8s, including TWO Costello MGB V8 conversions.  0 to
60 in less than 5 seconds is what the car display sheet claimed.  Anyone
know anything more about these cars?  They were truly impressive
conversions!  These cars LOOKED fabulous and looked like they could REALLY
move too.

jim

I'd like to write more but I was just a casual observer and, frankly,
completely overwhelmed :-)  Met George there.  Perhaps he can fill
in more?