More Troubleshootin' & Commutin'

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More Troubleshootin' & Commutin'
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 07:53:46 PDT
          I now have this theory that the relationship I
     have with Redcar is so highly evolved that we can
     diagnose problems while commuting. We don't have to
     stop and get out tools no siree, we just take a little
     drive and figure it out.
          Well, this morning wasn't actually a problem
     solving (ad)venture as much as the others have been
     lately, but still if I had not driven her to work this
     morning I would not have known of this.
          A few weeks back while departing a SCARE gathering
     our own Dick N. bellowed from his TR4 that I had no
     taillights in the Sprite. Looking at it later on I
     realized that the person I'd just had do some bodywork
     had disconnected the rear harness and reconnected it
     incorrectly. Once I had it all sorted out everything
     worked fine. The problem here though, as I realized
     this morning, was my method of determining that the
     brake lights worked. Rather than stepping on the pedal I
     simply bridged the contacts on the switch and Voila !,
     brake lights.
          Well, this morning, I realized that this was not a
     sure check when a grizzled old man in a beat up Bug
     pulled alongside, honked his horn, and then held up a
     very nice sign that read "YOU HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS". I
     had to laugh at this, not because I had no brake
     lights, but because this person had rooted around in
     his car to find a nice piece of white cardboard and a
     big black magic marker and then drew up this sign, all
     while at 60 mph on the 101. In a bug. Either that, or
     he just carries a collection of nicely-made signs
     indicating various automotive maladies.
          So immediately remembering how I determined that
     the lights had worked, I surmised that the switch is
     not closing when the brake pressure is applied.
          Oddly enough, tonight is the SCARE night again .....

          Troubleshootin' & Commutin' -
                                       dstone@sc9.intel.com