trans, lower bearings, cleanup

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: trans, lower bearings, cleanup
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 18:10:30 MDT
Well, I figure I'd group all my mumblings into one post, rather than
bomb the list several times...

Trans update:
-------------
Mark Banazak-Holl wrote:
 > mumble, mumble..... absolutely refuse to answer that question about a
 > car that's soon to turn 30.  Besides Scotty, you've got a HP-LBC.

Admit it, your car will never die!  (no, on second though don't do
that) My car's a HP-LBC-ITM (in the mountains).  Them mountains are
trouble I tell you!  But worth it. :-) Anyway, the parts have not
arrived at the shop yet, so I shall be waiting with baited breath...
When I talked to the owner, he mentioned that it was amazing that the
trans didn't complete self desctruct, and I brought it in "just in
time".  I think he ordered the parts from moss, so who knows when.  I
called moss to change my address, and they just sent my new catalog to
my old address. *sigh*

Lower end Bearings:
------------------
Skip Montanaro wrote:
 > thanks [...] and especially to Roger Bolick for his fine
 > instructions. I repost them here, with some embellishment of my own

 > 3. Mains are the same, except you do all of them at once. Even with
 > all four main bearing shells removed, the crank doesn't really go
 > anywhere, but don't stop now, because you don't want the extra weight
 > on the front and rear seals any longer than necessary.

Why remove all the bearings at once?  To gain room for the upper
bearing half?  I have never replaced mains with the crank in the
block, but I would figure that you could remove one main bearing cap,
then use the new bearing (lubed on the bearing face first) to push the
old one out of the way, by rotating it along the crank to which it
slides into the correct position, and the old one rotates out of
place.  This way you don't have the weight of the crank on your seals.
If this didn't give you enough space, you could try to loosen the
other bearing caps but don't remove them completely.  Anyone tried
this technique?

Cleanup:
--------
Scott Fisher wrote:
 > The best news is that the engine compartment, though it needs more
 > detail work before I paint it, looks VASTLY better than Kim or I ever

Here, I quote scott out of context, as this is where I was interrupted
while reading the above sentence.  Needless to say I had to read it
again with the next line attached! :-) :-)

 > could get it.

BTW, I would like to second Scott's success with simple green.  It's
an amazing product.

Cheers,

-Scotty "I want my TR6 trans back"