RE:MGB Smog Test - Advice Needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:MGB Smog Test - Advice Needed
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 13:29:54 -0400
>From Scott:

Anyway, I took it in for testing (which my work offers for a very
cheap price) and it came back high on HC and CO at idle.  The actual
readings were HC (ppm) 243 [permitted 150], CO (%) 3.14 [permitted
1.2].  The mechanic also said the EGR valve was working but apparently
blocked.  (Of course, he also said the catalytic converter was missing
 - he just didn't know where to find it.)  Timing was fine at 10 btdc.

Anyway, my question is, what do these readings mean?  The mechanic
said they were likely because the fuel mixture was too rich.
Presumably I can fix this with my colortune and the adjustment tool
(if I can find it).  I can also pop off the EGR valve and clean out
underneath it, which should fix the blockage problem.  I guess I
should also put in new plugs while I'm at it.  Is there anything else
I should do?  (Well, I should get new carpets, a new top, and pay more
attention to my wife.  But you know what I mean.)

It amazes me that so much effort is put into idle emissions tests. (I
believe you also have a 2500 rpm test in CA?). The bottom line is
how much time does a car spend on the "idle" circuits and how much
pollution comes from say 30 minutes of "idle" vs 30 minutes "at speed"?

I know!, in CA most of your commute time is at idle! :-) It's all clear
to me now :-).

I`m sure glad I'm spared the misery for now, but emissions testing is
supposed to come to these neck of the woods in the next year or so.

-Bob T.