XK120 Moss Gearbox Problem

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: XK120 Moss Gearbox Problem
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 31 Aug 1993 10:39:59 U
                       Subject:                               Time:9:54 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          XK120 Moss Gearbox Problem             Date:8/31/93
The 120 got its first test drive with the original JH trans. Seemed a little
difficult to get it into first and second, tendency to pop out of second. After
about half a mile of driving around my neighborhood, it got stuck in first
gear! Arrgh! Drove home 3 blocks in first, and into the garage. Fortunately I
hadn't bolted the trans tunnel down yet, so I pulled it and the trans top cover
off. The first gear was all the way back and the second gear synchro sleeve was
all the way forward, allowing the six spring-loaded balls and one plunger/ball
to come partially out and prevent the gears from returning to where they are
supposed to be. I got lucky in that none of the balls fell out. With a hammer
and prybar I got the gears back to neutral position without damaging anything.
 Now what? Is there any wisdom on the net as to why this happened, and what I
should do to prevent it happening again? Has anyone ever rebuilt a Moss box?
I've been studying the manual, and I have two theories.
1. worn plunger and ball in the second gear synchro sleeve, allowing the sleeve
to move forward when the first gear moves backward
2. fork in the top cover moving the first gear too far back. This also may
explain why it popped out of second. I don't know if there is any adjustment
possible in the fork.
Any ideas?