SD1

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: SD1
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 93 11:02 EDT
>  Isn't the Rover SD1 Vitesse a sports car?

Well yes and no !!!!, is was very fast in standard trim, considering
it came out in 1978 (?). The police in the UK used to use them as motorway
patrol cars (otherwise know as jam butties !). It also had very good
handling characteristics, remember this was a HUGE car (by Euro standards).

> The SD1 is based on the car called the 3500 in the US (not the 3.5L
> version of the 2000 and 2000TC, but the later one).

They also brought out the SDI 2300, and the SDI 2600, which used the
inline 2.3L & 2.6L engines. They had attrociuous quality control problems
when they first came out (were they made in Speke along with the TR7 ?).
However as the yaers went by they got better and better, they latter ones
were very nice inside and out.

> It was a successful rally car, but so was the Volvo 544. :-)

As far as I know BL never rallied the car, although a couple of private
entrants could have. BL bid support the TWR (Tow Walkinshaw Racing) SD1
race program, which was part of the British (Euro) Saloon Car Championship.
They were VERY successfull, against the like of BMW, Mercedes and Ford (with
the 3.0L Capri).

You can still get the body kits for this car from the UK, which actually
looks very pretty (although very aggressive).

Gerry