GM 326 Engine

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: GM 326 Engine
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 08:55:19 +0000 (GMT)
timp@key.amdahl.com (Tim Pettenati) wrote:
 by 1964, GM decided that the cars needed more
cubic inches, and as other considerations presupposed retooling (new bell-
housing pattern), the General decided to save some $$ and cast the new-for-64
300cid Buick in iron, albeit still with aluminum heads in `64.  GM chopped two
cylinders off this lovely engine, enlarged it a bit & cast the resulting V6
in iron, and thus was born the 3.8 L Buick (ever wonder where 90-degree V6s
come from?).  Olds went with a 330-inch all-iron engine, and (I think) Pontiac
introduced the 326 that same year.

*** The 326 was introduced in 1963.  I know because I had a `63 Pontiac
Lemans with it.  An awesome engine.  The fastest car I ever
owned. Too bad it ate a clutch every 2000 miles :-(.  And it tended to
spin out if you hit a turn too hot.  My car was mentioned in ``Unsafe at
Any Speed'' as being even more dangerous than its feature car, the Corvair.

--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *