TR7 Cannister Oil Filter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: TR7 Cannister Oil Filter
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 18:38:00 +0000
The TR7 comes with a cannister-style oil filter.  It is both
inconvenient to use and difficult to keep from leaking.  I find
that mine does not include all the parts inside, so that the
filter is not well centered and the oil has a chance to go around
the filter.  Who needs this?

I have two questions:

1. Where can I get a spin-on oil filter adapter?  There was one
   in British Restoration Parts' catalog, but they appear to
   be out of business.  Michael's British Parts in San Jose also
   appears to be out of business.  I can't find one in the TRF
   catalog.  Victoria British sells one that works only with
   their oil cooler system, and I don't want to go through all
   of that.

2. How do you install the cannister so that it doesn't leak?  I
   replaced the rubber-band seal in the annular ring on the engine.
   The Haynes manual tells you to torque it to spec, but I can
   find no spec.  I installed it carefully, twisting the cannister
   as I screwed down the holding bolt to ensure that the cannister
   was well seated.  When I found that it leaked, I tightened the
   holding bolt from moderately tensioned to very tight.  It still
   leaks.  There must be a trick here.

--Joe Gorin   joeg@sr.hp.com    '80 TR7 convertible