Re: 1st gear in Midget

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: Re: 1st gear in Midget
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 10:03:05 -0500 (CDT)
Marcus writes>

> first gear is a little noisy (whines) what do
> I need to replace ??

Nothing.  First gear whines in all A-block Spridgets.  The gears are
straight-cut.

Coincidently, I ran across the same thing this weekend.
Two brothers showed up at the autocross with a Midget.  They were
concerned about the first gear.  I took one of them with me while I was
warming the engine on Terry Pitts' Midget for my first run  (no, the Lotus
did not make it.  Next Week!) and showed him that the first gear made just
as much noise as his.  He was much relieved.

Bridget's whined like crazy, also.  I had the gearbox gone through when it
stuck in gear.  It whined the same in first when I got it back, although
it was pronounced A-1.

So don't fix it.  It ain't broke.  If your synchros in the top three gears
work, just change the clutch disk AND THROWOUT BEARING (they wear to keep
pace with the disk wear) and chuck it back in the car.  Be sure to use
only 30w NON-detergent motor oil in the gearbox to protect the synchros.

phile@stpaul.gov