trans oil and SUs

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: trans oil and SUs
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Thu Sep 30 11:34:51 1993
just a comment on trans fluid for Midgets/sprites

For the 1275 models and previous, the gears, synchro hubs and
synchros are the same as a mini...what is the point, you ask.  Well,
in a mini the gearbox is the sump for the engine...and nothing but
regular (or synthetic) motor oil is used.  It works fine.  From my
close examination of synchros, there is no coating on them...any
coating would soon wear off by the friction with which they operate.

So..IMHO, it matters not whether you use detergent or non-detergent
oil.

SU Carbs..I concur with Scott F.  They work great when properly
rebuilt...rebuild kit plus new throttle shafts usually do the
trick...if you have chosen the correct needle.

The SCCA production racers are required to use SUs...I ran them on
my vintage race car until this season and you get plenty of power.
The David Vizard recommended mods are quite helpful.

Problems only arise when you perform the unholy acts on the carbs
necessary for lots of airflow.  Mine are throughbored and are
undrivable below 3000 rpm.

One F Prod racer I know had his Midget's SUs modified so that he
could adjust needle height through the top of the carbs and could
set the height more precisely.  For racing, no damper fluid is used
(just a little WD40 on the piston) and the damper plunger is
removed.  This works fine if you drive close to wide open throttle
at all times.  This may not be socially acceptable or acceptable to
your local law enforcement bodies.

Jim

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil