Re: MG pistons

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG pistons
From: sanders@hydra.unm.edu
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 13:04:37 -0600
> Has anyone every bought forged pistons for their LBC??  If so what make
> and how much??  That is a major part of the cost (about $5-400) whereas
> the standard TR 6 pistons (which fit if you 40 thou overbore) cost less than
>  half this.

I put Venoulia forged pistons in the motor of the 69 MGB.  When I priced
off the shelf sets I found that forged were only on the order of 15-20%
more than uprated pistons from the usual vendors.  I also liked the fact
that since they are made to order, one can specify the bore and compression
desired. Keep an eye on what connecting rod types (specifically the pin) are
required for the pistons. As I recall, the straight rods are slightly
preferable over the offset ones from different years.

A related question...
What is the best way to check valve/piston clearance? Really needs to be
done when the head is all set up and torqued down but then there is no access.
I'm interested in changing to the higher lift roller rockers that are
available but do not want to mess with the (balanced) lower end. Certainly
would like to determine the clearance before ordering.

John Sanders
sanders@unm.edu