Z-S Carb Tuning & a Little Closer to the Road

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Z-S Carb Tuning & a Little Closer to the Road
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 93 09:50:21 PDT
Well, Daren came over this weekend to swap labor for the Lucas headlamps.  We
got quite a bit done and the only thing left is to tune the Strombergs & change
the tranny fluid.  We removed all the components from the engine compartment
sill, so I could give everything there a coat of paint and get rid of some of
the rust, especially where the brake fluid ate away the paint.  Daren rebuilt
the clutch MC while I cleaned and painted the sill and related components.
Daren also adjusted up the valves and gave it a tune.  I replaced all the
heater hoses which were about 8 years old, especially since there's one that
can only be replaced with the servo removed.  Got everything bolted back to the
sill and we were ready to bleed the brakes.  Daren brought along his EZ bleed
which I thought we'd give a try instead of the vacuum bleeder.  Daren gets it
all hooked up and sez watch when I turn it on.  It promptly spewed fluid all
over my new paint, argh!!  So we ended up doing it the old fashioned way and I
was able to get a decent brake pedal and a good clutch pedal.

I was able to fire it up just for a minute or so, but since the carbs have been
rebuilt completely, it started right up but ran really rough.  So for all you
Z-S carb gurus, I need some tuning info for adjusting them from scratch.  It's
a late GT6 with the CD150s.  A lot of Rodgers SU procedure seems applicable,
but anyone have one for the Strombergs?  I have a colortune kit but have never
used it.  It has to pass smog before I get it on the road so I want to make
sure I get it right the first time.

Mike G.