8 spoke wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 8 spoke wheels
From: gss@acd4.acd.com (Gregory S. Stier )
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 93 17:34:03 EST
Sorry to bang the whole list with this, but I can't seem to reach
Scott directly.

Scott,

Thanks for your reply and sorry it took so long to respond.

> Panasport, since you don't make it entirely obvious that you know this,
> is a brand name (like Xerox or Coke :-).

I did know this.

> I seem to recall that the Moss catalog lists two
> kinds of 8-spokes: one that is made by the Panasport company, and one
> that is made by some unnamed company, at a lower price (and possibly
> at a different size as well).

I couldn't find any kind of distinction in their catalog, flyers or anything
else for their having two suppliers for the 8 spoke wheels.  I called them
and asked whether they've had Panasport as a supplier and the guy on the
phone was unaware of this (he asked around while I was on the line too).

> Another well respected racing wheel company is Revolution; I rather
> like the look of Revo's, which are four-spokers with a sort of star
> pattern.  They are *very* light, along the order of 9 lb per wheel
> in 13" sizes.  They're commonly seen with the rims polished and the
> center section painted body-color.

I also like these but it's not the look I'm after on this car.

> Funny.  I've thrown mine around quite a bit, and they seem to weigh about
> the same as my wire wheels, even a little lighter.  I've thrown my back out
> with the wire wheels I took off The Green Car, but never with the alloys.

I also have quite a bit of experiance with lugging the wires around.  I don't
think the guy was suggesting that the spline drives are heavier than the
wires (that would be hard to do), just that they (the MOSS wheels) are
significantly heavier that some of the alternatives. More about this later.

> Of course, if you've got center-lock wheels, you really
> have no choice other than to replace pretty much the whole suspension, so
> it's something of a moot point.  I wanted wider wheels, I had wires, the
> combination restricts me to pretty much one option.

Actually, I think there are a few options.  One which you have explored, is
the Minator wheels.  I have seen these on a few cars at historic races and
autox's.  Another is the wheel manufactured by British Wire Wheel (They claim
it has superior statistics all around) and the last (and most expensive) is
actually real Minilites which are being made again in the U.K.  I have heard
,and have no trouble believing, that these are so expensive that it wasn't
worth the time to find out.  I think I read that they are available in either
aluminum (real expensive) or magnesium/unobtanium (incredibly expensive).
I have seen a set of magnesium 8 spokes which did not have a seperate center
hub.  The whole thing was magnesium and _extremely_ light.  This is probably
the ultimate setup for a wire-wheel-hubbed car.  You may be correct, however,
that the wire wheel hubs are heaver that bolt on hubs.  I've never checked.

> Actually, I suppose that the center-lock setup all told is hardly the
> best for reducing unsprung weight.  I imagine that the locking hub is
> probably a good deal heavier than four lug bolts and slightly longer
> studs.  On the other hand, the last factory M.G. race car used wheels
> just like the center-lock alloys, but in 15" size to fit the MGC they
> were used on.

I first saw one of the light weight MGC's about 15 years ago and fell in love
with them on the spot.  I still have the pictures somewhere (my wife having
finally talked (made) me take them out from under my pillow.

> Yeah, right.  And how about a factory close-ratio gearbox while you're
> at it?

Sarcasm noted, but what, BTW, are the ratios in a "factory close-ratio
gearbox"?

> > I've
> > seen these advertised in "Thouroughbred and Classic Cars" Magazine.  I guess
> > someone is actually making real Magnesium Minilites again.
>
> Maybe that's what I've got; mine are made in the U.K., under the Minator name.
> I bought them a year and a half ago.

Nope, real Minilites, see above.

> Note, BTW, that Datsun Z Cars use the same bolt pattern as MGBs.  In fact,
> I might make you a good deal on some 14 x 6 '82 ZX wheels in great shape
> with low-mileage Yokohama tires on them.  I'm thinking of upgrading to
> 15 x 7s on that car, with 225-50 tires on them.

Do you know, for a fact that 7" wheels fit without body mods?  As for the
ZX wheels I have a friend in New Hampshire with these wheels on a '78.  Once
again, not the look I'm after.  What are the tires?  A008's, 8R's or one of
milder blends?  Have you done anything other than a roll bar to stiffen the
chassis on this car?  If not, you must be getting some serious scuttle shake.
This has kept me from going with _seriously_ wide tires/wheels.

> Someone in this transaction is *very* confused.  There was a company
> called Cosmic in the UK that made light alloy wheels, especially for
> Minis though for other vehicles as well.  I don't know of any center-
> lock Cosmic wheels, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Got similiar response from another respondent.  He was from the U.K.  and
wouldn't even utter the words "Cosmic" and "Minilite" in the same sentence.
However, the MOSS guy was very specific, so maybe they have increased their
line, merged with another company or something else which would explain
the different stories.

Anyway, you've probably seen my post about Select Sales by now.  I will let you
know how it turns out.  They really impressed me on the phone (and I'm not easy
to impress ;-).  When the UPS man visits this week we'll know for sure.  Thanks
again for your response.

Greg