MGB Zenith to SU conversion

To: british-cars%autox.team.net@hoosier
Subject: MGB Zenith to SU conversion
From: peters@thor.li.Cubic.COM
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 16:45:38 EDT
Does anyone on the net have any experience converting an
MGB from a single Zenith-Stromberg to dual SU's?  Mine is a 1980
with a functioning catalyst, air pump, etc.  It is registered in
New York (Long Island) so I have to pass an emission inspection
every year.  The car starts and runs smoothly, but could use a bit
more power.

My thought would be to use the pre-1975 intake and exhaust manifolds
and head pipe.  Then I could splice the catalyst into the system
somewhere under the car.  The current state inspection does not
seem to check emission equipment as long as emissions are within spec.
(The guy who did my car last year thought the air pump was for my
power stearing!!!)

In any event, what I would like to know is:

1.  Will the combination which I am looking at give me enough of a
    horsepower boost to be worth the effort and expense?

2.  Which model SU would be best for this purpose?

3.  Has anyone had any experience mounting a catalytic converter
    underneath one of these cars?  How much and what type of heat
    shielding should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Schauss                                   email: schauss@cubic.com
1980 MGB