SOL Physics 101

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: SOL Physics 101
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 10:11:04 -0700 (MST)
I'm thinking of building a list of the Natural Laws/Forces of
Nature attendant to car maintenance, if no-one's done it already.

Two of them everyone knows:

    The magnetic field that forces a dropped tool to roll to a
    point directly beneath the exact geometric center of the car;

    The force that guides a dropped nut, screw or washer directly
    into the most inaccessible nook in the engine bay.

Another that springs to mind is:

    The "rust focussing" force, that causes the most structurally
    important part of the body or chassis to attract the most
    virulent rust.  (e.g. MGB sills?)

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows of other natural laws
governing to auto maintenance, especially original.  Like, say,
"The likely hood of a bolt crossthreading is inversely linked
to accessibility of the installation point and the availability
of spares."

If I get a good list, I'll post it, with credits of course.

- Dan Parslow
parslow@sunquest.com