Rover V8 Identification anyone? Please?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rover V8 Identification anyone? Please?
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 17:15:07 EDT
I just picked up (a week or so ago) a 3.5L V8 from the junkyard.
I yanked it out of a 1960s 3500S, a P6(?) car. It looks identical to the
car on the bottom right corner of (shoot, forgot the name) European car
magazine, this month's issue, I believe. If anyone wants the car, it is
still there and in surprisingly good condition!

        Atlantic Auto Parts
        West Palm Beach, Fl.
        (407) area code, sorry, I don't have the # handy.

Anyway, my question is, how do I identify the engine? (year/model)
I don't believe it is stock, it looks too clean. (it may be rebuilt)
It has a 4bbl. intake, but the carb is on an adapter, so it isn't
stock, but the manifold might be. I can't find a company logo or
name embossed anywhere on the intake. Didn't Rover always use the
dual Zenith/Stromberg carb setup anyways? (or just on TR8s?)
There appears to be a date stamped on the right side of the block,
(as you face the front) by the #3 cylinder, but the format is strange.
The only reason I think it is a date is the numbers are all within
a realistic range. I'm at work,so I'm not sure, but I think it was
something like 13-10-88 or close. Do the Europeans use a day/month/year
format instead of our month/day/year format? It would make more sense.
Would this be a date, or is it just a coincidence? Are there casting
numbers I could use to determine its origin year/plant/vehicle? Is the
intake stock or do I have a hot-rod? :) I haven`t torn it down yet,
(even the (Delco) alternator is still on :) so I could have missed
something.

Is there a source for this type of info available? (book, etc.)

Thanks for all of your time,
Kevin

kburtch@pts.mot.com